Monday, May 2, 2011

Blog

The first week I got back I went to the San Diego Rotarian luncheon my first week back after Miss America. The event was recognizing Heroes who made a difference. The heroes included Steven Kane, Carlos Partida and Mario Contreras, three construction workers who chased down and tackled a gunman who was firing at children at Kelly Elementary School in Carlsbad. It was outstanding to hear all of their stories, they truly are heroes. Next week was the NADA conference. I flew to San Francisco and stayed in the beautiful St. Regis hotel. I was able to meet owners of Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Kia. I was trying to convince them to give me a spare car, but it didn't really work out. I had a lot of fun in my short day in San Francisco, but then I was off to Orange County the same day.

That day was the Miss Fullerton Pageant. Doug and Kathi Hikawa are some of my favorite people in this organization. They put together a beautiful video on my Miss America experience before the show started. It was very special. The two titleholders Carly Valdes and Alyssa Alex are truly remarkable and I can't wait to see them succeed at Miss California.

The next week I was off to Northern California for three days visiting various Veterans hospitals. I have
never been touched in this way. All of the veterans were so enthusiastic and willing to share their story. I truly enjoyed every second of this trip. Paul Sanfilipo and Linda Otriveras were my traveling companions for the week! We had a blast. The following week was Miss Placentia. It was wonderful to see and stay with the Baldwins once again; they are truly generous people. Congrats to Jordan Krinke a MCOT alum, Whitney Thomas the shoe queen, Jinnie Rhee, and Anneliese Klages. The Monday following the pageant, I was off to Santa Barbara where I attended the convention for the American Pistachios. This convention announced that they are becoming the official snack sponsor of Miss California and the Men's and Women's US Waterpolo team. I was able to speak about how excited we are about this partnership at the convention along with two members from the Waterpolo Team.




That weekend I drove up to Tulare with Patrick and Sharon Nordes. The town was very small but I had a blast with the host family. It was so cute because we both were starving after rehearsal so we decided to make a quick stop to In n Out. The entire car ride, I kept on informing her on social networking and how important it was for her to keep up to date! The theater was beautiful and I am thrilled for the two titleholders: Sabrina Ziegler and Jazelle Verduzco.

The last day of February I went to NBC to help promote IHOP day, March 1, across the city of San Diego. Lurece and I had a blast at 6 in the morning!! Every donation that was made went to support CMN, the national platform of Miss America. March 1st was National Pancake Day where I was able to make the most fabulous pancakes. Saundra Combs, Miss Hollywood, joined me on this day to make a mickey mouse pancake. We ate chocolate chip pancakes made by the chef himself of IHOP. It was a lot of fun to visit, welcome and serve the guests of IHOP donating to CMN.

That weekend i went to the 4S Ranch Little League opening ceremony. They had me sing two songs as part of the opening presentation. Seeing the adorable kids get ready for the big game was a blast. It was an honor to have 17-year MLB veteran Dave Stewart as the keynote speaker.

On March 17th, Miss Azusa, Lauren Brady, and I got the royal treatment at Disneyland. It was so much fun to go to Disneyland and take pictures with our crowns in front of the main entrance.

That weekend was Miss San Diego. Kati and Joe, Pey-shiaun, and Alexandra did a fabulous job of putting on a smooth and wonderful show. It was so strange to think that my last pageant was my local pageant I won to compete for Miss California. Everything is coming around in a circle and it makes me sad to think that my time to pass the crown on will be coming up very soon. One of my dear friends, Shelby MacDonald received a title along with Marina Insera, Ryan Obsorne, Lauren Smolka, and Danamarie NcNicholl-Carter.

The following week was my trip to Washington DC with the top 12 contestants of Miss America. I arrived at 9am on March 27th where I went with my host family to tour the museums in the mall of DC. It was a bit chilly but nonetheless a beautiful day. That night we had a Mexican feast at the home of Miss DC's executive director
, Teri Galvez. During this trip, we had a photo shoot with be gorgeous Cherry Blossoms, Visited the Veterans Hospital, attended a private tour of the Capital, and dined at the Croatian Embassy. It was so wonderful to be able to catch up with my Miss America sisters.

The day I got back was my first day back at UCLA for spring quarter. My schedule consists of music theory, asian music history, astronomy and differential equations: 18 units. That weekend was another full day, I went to the open house of my pilates studio, Core Arts Pilates, in West Hollywood. It was wonderful to see their LA studio in top shape for new clients.

That night I drove down to San Diego to attend the fundraising gala for San Diego Glenner Alzheimer Center. This organization is truly remarkable helping families and patients dealing with Alzheimer. It was a lot of fun to be able to help these wonderful organization.


No comments:

Post a Comment